Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Friday, March 12, 2010

Alabama Learning Exchange (ALEX)
Once I become a teacher, I can definitely see myself using ALEX as a reference and resource when planning my lessons. Teachers can share information or material that they have found helper so other teachers can benefit from it as well as them. This website provides podcasts, sample lesson plans, as well as many links to other websites that I can use as resources as well. Having the course of study standards available in one location makes it easy to access while planning lessons.

Before completing this assignment, I was already relatively familiar with ALEX, however after this I learned so much more as far as the resources and what was all involved with ALEX. There is so much combined into one site that everything you need is in one location. It really is great, and I’m looking forward to having access to this once I am a teacher and begin planning lessons of my own. It is very user friendly and easy to access.

Alabama Connecting Classrooms, Educators, & Students Statewide (ACCESS)
The entire ACCESS website has to do with distance learning. You can access this site by going to http://accessdl.state.al.us. The purpose of this site is seeking to make opportunities for students who attend public school available equally to all students. This program is quite interesting. Some of the things offered are: sections for both students and teachers, additional resources and courses offered. Basically a student signs up for the class and they will go to a classroom in their school but instead of having a regular teacher they will be provided with an e Teacher. This is a teacher who will for example, skype in to teach the class.

There are arguments for both sides to this. Yes, it definitely has perks and potential however there are some negative aspects as well. Some of the concerns that are argued have to do with technology that is associated with the distance learning or not getting as much out of it. I believe it is a great way to give everyone a better chance at achieving their goals becoming who they would like to become. This program can be that opportunity to give those kids and chance!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your comments on ACCESS. It is all about distance learning and I agree that it has positive and negative effects. It is providing more opportunities for some students, but at the same time some students might only take it because they think it will be easy.

    Good post! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that ALEX is a good resource to use. When I become a teacher I plan on using it as well. I think ACCESS is a good program as well. I think it gives students a better opportunity to learn and achieve more.

    ReplyDelete