Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sunday, February 14, 2010

NPR Blog: Wikipedia
There is so much controversy with this site as to whether or not it is a reliable source of information. There are many pros and cons to this controversy. I myself am guilty of using Wikipedia (probably more than I should be using it) because of its easy accessibility and no matter what I am researching Wikipedia seems to ALWAYS have something to say about it. It’s quick and easy results seem to make it the first link on most search engines. This is where the cons come into play, however. Wikipedia always has something to say because anyone can put information on there, regardless if there is any truth to it or not. Therefore, this makes Wikipedia unreliable information. I wonder what percentage of the general public realizes that this site is not genuine. As educators, teaching students how to recognize the reliability of internet sites is an important concept that should be discussed and evaluated.


"What I've Learned This Year" by Mr. McClung
I really enjoyed reading this article from Mr. McClung about his first year of teaching. He had some intuitive things to share that I feel will be beneficial to me in the future. I am aware of how important being flexible is, and that not everything has to go verbatim with what was planned; as long as the student is learning. As important as flexibility is, communicating with your students is just as important. As teachers, we are responsible to help our students learn, so it’s imperative that we present it in a way that they can understand.

The statement that stuck with me the most was when he said ‘never stop learning’. Every day and every school year will offer something for me to learn as well as teach. Learning is a lifelong process and we will never know all there is to know. That’s what makes the learning process so fun and exciting.

2 comments:

  1. Wikipedia is genuine. It just has some areas in which you have to be especially careful. I use Wikipedia all the time. I am just cautious with living persons/entities/corporations. Generally, Wikipedia is an excellent, quick resource. You just have to keep your eyes open and your brain on. EVERYONE has a slant they are trying to sell you. Even me. So question everything!

    Mr. McClung is a great friend. We will probably have a Skype session with him this semester to see how Year 2 is continuing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on Wikipedia being the easiest. I sometimes use it to look for information as well, but I usually use it to start my research and find links that are connected to it.

    Mr. McClung did have some wonderful things to say. His information was helpful for me and gave me things to think about while I teach.

    ReplyDelete