Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dr. Alice Christie's Website

Dr. Alice Christie talks about how technology can enhance learning as well as teaching. This was the portion of the website that I found to be most beneficial to teachers. There are several links and this website reassures us that this change and the incorporation of technology into our teaching/learning isn’t just beneficial, it can be fun as well.

There were several other links like podcasting, and internet resources that I found might be beneficial for teachers as well. Dr. Alice Christie appears to be a very successful by the looks of her website. There are so many tools and ideas that would be absolutely wonderful for students, teachers, and parents alike.

iTunes University

For someone who enjoys having technology, this version of iTunes could be really helpful. I think everyone could be able to benefit from this. Teachers can post lectures, which would benefit the student and the teachers can find ways to teach. Podcasted lectures allow a student to replay over and over as many times as needed until the concept is grasped. Being able to take better notes is a plus as well.

For only being launched for less than two years, iTunes U has made remarkable strides; and even more popular. Being a busy college student myself this could be very useful. I could download podcasts onto my ipod and have them while I am on the go. And these days that where I seem to spend most, if not all of my time.

Using iPods for Instruction

IPod’s are amazing. I have an iPod touch and I absolutely love it! It’s so exciting how much things, like the iPod have been integrated into learning environments, especially over the past few years. I’ve discovered that they are capable of so much more than just listening for the use of listening to music. Some K-12 schools have started using the iPod to enhance their curriculum and learning objectives.

The results from Duke University were surprising. Over 1,600 students received a 20GB iPod. You can review this experience at this link. Many of the iPod’s were distributed to music and foreign language students, it was applied to other courses as well however.

4 comments:

  1. It really never even occurred to me before reading about Duke University's use of iPods in class that they had so many uses. We're going to be teaching in such a technologically forward era, exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Dr. Alice Christie's website too. I really liked her idea of virtual field trips. Her website is definitely one I will be following.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you like the iPod Touch, just wait until you see the iPad. I will have one to show to the class as soon as possible after they are released.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed the itunes University, I think its extremely beneficial, especially to college students.

    ReplyDelete